About Me

My photo
I created this blog to post my photography work for my A-level course.

Saturday 3 January 2015

Man Ray inspiration // Experimental

Man Ray creates photograms of objects and materials that he has around him, that he believes would create an interesting effect on photographic paper. He has done this through lying the objects and materials on the paper that he wants to include in his image, then he turns the light of the enlarger on for a designated amount of time to create the effect. This works by the things he has placed on the paper working to block some of the light at different parts of the paper.  


The image above could be said to symbolize Man Ray's trip to Paris, being what he did there. I find it interesting as you know it's to do with Paris, and you can tell that he went to the Eiffel tower but you don't know the full story behind it all.

Each of these images produced by Man Ray by creating his own photograms are unique to the other. They each include an aspect of an SLR camera's film in them, this is interesting as it means that they can tell a story in the image from using the images, or lack of images within the film in the image. This story is helped being portrayed through the other objects and materials within the image.

The images below are my own photograms, that I created using Man Ray as inspiration:
 In the image above I placed two strips of film down on the photographic paper in different directions, but overlapping at one point. To me this conveys a sort of story of what went on one day, but also gives an aspect of double exposure on the overlapped images, which also portrays an idea that two things could have been going on at the same point in time. I also layed some cling film in one corner to give a hazy effect to the image, from the light getting through in different amounts. I also put two straws down, each straw had transparent and opaque parts to it, which could convey that the day that the images were took had some aspects being easy to know and see, whilst others weren't.

This image is different to the other image the other photogram that I created, as it includes different objects within the image, which have created different textures and light patterns to the other image that I created. The images on the film are from the exact same day as the ones in my other photogram, therefore this image could represent a different version of how that day went.

No comments:

Post a Comment