About Me

My photo
I created this blog to post my photography work for my A-level course.

Saturday 3 January 2015

Two negatives cut and stuck together // Experimental


 Tuesday's lesson a few weeks ago, we went in the dark room. Whilst we were in there we cut up two negatives and stuck them together to create a new, unique, interesting image. By doing this we were trying a new way of constructing experimental images for the experimental photography project.

 The image below is the tester image I had to do to check how much time the light needed to be on for the image to come out as well as possible. I went up in 5 second bursts. With this, the top of the image has had more time under the light of the enlarger than the bottom. You can see horizontal lines going across the image from where each segment got split up to get different amounts of light.

 The image below, we did with a 30 second burst under the light of the enlarger.

 The image below, I painted the developer on the image along the top and let it drip down and also flicked some developer onto the image. I think this looks pretty cool, as there are lines and splats of where you can see the image as the image only comes through where the developer has been.

 The image below, is of the same negative, but I solarised it. Therefore there are no whites, but the image is now made up of blacks and greys. To do this I had to have exposed the paper to the light of the enlarger for the same amount of time as the others, then place it in the developer for 10 seconds, after which I had to take it out and expose it to the light of my phone's torch in the far corner of the room, then put it back in the developer to finish developing and go through the stop, fix, and wash normally.

 Overall I am really happy with how these have turned out as I tried out a few different experimental techniques such as cutting two negative in half and sticking them together to create a totally new image, dripping developer down the photographic paper to expose parts of the image, and solarising an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment